Author Topic: Hello from Gnawfree, Sussex, UK  (Read 895 times)

Offline Gnawfree

• 660 Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Matt Black & Silver
  • City / Town: Chichester
Hello from Gnawfree, Sussex, UK
on: March 05, 2021, 03.05 PM
50+ old-timer based on South Coast, UK, hoping to re-live some of his misspent youth (though in a much safer way!)

Previous "bikes" were Suzuki X1 and a RD50M ('Terry Beckett tuned'!!) - yep -  back in the day! - 50cc 2-stroker 'peds - still love the smell !
CBT and Theory were taken last Summer/Winter in between lockdowns.  Couldn't stop grinning at the end of my CBT after an hour riding on a ropey old Kwacker ER-6n!!
Mod1 & 2 were due January.... gnrrr!  .... maybe at the end of April/May after lock-down now.

Just taken delivery of a "Matte Jet Black and Matte Silver Ice" job with "too many extras" (according to The Missus!) inc. Bluetooth connection, tyre pressure mon, bar end mirrors, scrolling indicators, Protection pack (sliders) Protect + (alarm) and shift assist.  All fitted except for shift assist which isn't available yet at my dealer (Destination Triumph, Solent).

Looking forward to riding again!
Cheers

Offline Gnawfree

• 660 Pro
  • Topic Author
Hello from Gnawfree, Sussex, UK
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 04.14 PM
My new toy ...

Online tridentmania

• 660 Pro
  • Bike: Trident 660
  • City / Town: Old Coulsdon
Re: Hello from Gnawfree, Sussex, UK
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 05.39 PM
Enjoy  :028:
From '61>present - '57 BSA C12, '61 RE C/Sports, '59 Tiger 110, '61 T120R, '57 BMW R50, '76 GT185, '69 T120, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, '05 Sprint1050 & '08 Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, SprintGT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & '12 Bonne, '15 XRx,'18 XRt, Trident 660

Offline Gnawfree

• 660 Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 06.24 PM
 :028:

Offline 3Teeth660

• 660 Member
  • Bike: SpeedTwin, T660soon
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 10.44 PM
Hi Gnawfree, the Solent branch are supplying me with the same colour bike.  I'm impressed with your list of extras (and thanks for the photos) but it was your number plate that caught my eye.  How did you manage that?  It's perfect.

I have been busy ordering stuff from Evotech, (axle and rad protection and levers) and I've gone for the Hepco & Becker crash bars as I'm intending to have a go at MotoGymkhana.  Not their handlebar protection though, if I need to I'll probably fit something from Barkbusters rather than it look like a school bike.  The bars looks more robust than the Triumph version you have which blends in very well.

It was that white demonstrator I rode, in the rain unfortunately and got it filthy.  It's a cracking bike.  I've still got to wait a week or two though to bolt on all the goodies.

Offline Gnawfree

• 660 Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 10.11 PM
Hi 3Teeth660

A fellow local Trident 660'er!   :152:

I think I just got lucky with the numberplate.  I pre-ordered the bike way back in November (I think) and soon after saw Tridentmania's cool numberplate (so it's his fault  :001:) .  I've never had a private number plate before but thought I'd have a quick look on the DVLA website and searched for "TR..." for Triumph/Trident.  I couldn't quite believe my luck when it popped up "for a reasonable price" and so went for it.  I'm so glad I did - it's going be a mega popular bike.

I'm pleased, so far, with the extras - though I'm still waiting for the quickshifter which I'll get fitted when I can get to the dealer! (My DAS is 'very soon' - my bike only has 0.8 miles on the clock from me running up and down a private road near me!)  I took a big punt on this "being the bike" (no license and so no test ride) and the price certainly bumped up with all the extras - but it's still definitely worth it I think. (I called in at a Yammy garage yesterday (as I was "going past") just to confirm I'd made the right decision (v Cyclops MT07 (ugh!) or XSR900 (too high for me)).  There was also a black last years' (non-Cyclops) zero miles MT09 that caught my eye (pardon the pun) and was an OK height for me (~8K), but think I need to learn to walk before I run though! (and even then I'd prolly have an XSR900 Velocity Moto "LC900" or a Stripple).  I wouldn't mind test riding an MT09 one day for (triple) comparison though).

I opted for the Tecbike parts adjustable levers in the end - yet to be fitted (!) (the matt black ones at Probrake were always "unavailable" and quite expensive compared to the Tecbike parts which seem very good quality and very reasonably priced).  Their paddock stand bobbins arrived yesterday so now I have a fully functional stand!
I've also got a rad guard "coming this week" from iconic -  https://iconicparts.uk/shop/ols/products/triumph-trident-660-2021-radiator-guard

I need to look up your mods, and would be interested to hear about the Nitron I see you've installed on your Speed Twin  :062:

Unfortunately I can't take any credit for the photos - that's Vince's doing at Solent.   I will definitely be asking to ride their demo bike as soon as I am able!  (I assume it's run in by now!  :007:)

Enjoy your bike - I'll most likely bump into you one day soonish!  :152:

Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 10.42 PM by Gnawfree

Offline 3Teeth660

• 660 Member
  • Bike: SpeedTwin, T660soon
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 07.12 PM
I think you'll be happy you went for the Triumph once you've tried the Yamahas.  I had a Tracer 900 GT recently, great bike and I love triples, but the Trident is just put together better I think.  And I agree about the headlight styling, no my favourite.

You timed your DVLA plate purchase well, there's nothing like it left now.  Good luck with the DAS!

Offline Gnawfree

• 660 Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 05.53 PM
 :763:

Offline lcman

• 660 Member
  • Bike: Trident 660
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 09.15 PM
You just about got all the best bits except a rad guard which I would strongly recommend have a look at evotech-performance good kit and easy to fit yourself.
Cheers Colin

2 x RD350LC, Trident 660

Offline Shurm

• 660 Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Trident 660
  • City / Town: Accrington
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 03.48 PM
That looks really nice those mirrors are growing on me  :028: