Author Tank cover fit.  (Read 436 times)

• Offline Enzo660   pl

• 660 Member  ‐    19
    • Topic Author

Offline Enzo660

• 660 Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trident 660
    • City / Town: Cracow
    Tank cover fit.
    on: September 19, 2022, 06.13 pm
    September 19, 2022, 06.13 pm
    Hey all,

Weird question. :) Can you guys touch/palpate front LEFT side of your tank cover? Is it fitted perfectly? I am askiing because today during washing session I noticed that front left side of my tank cover is not fitted perfectly and slightly bends when pressing it with the finger. It's not a big deal, I am just curious if it's my bike only or general fitting "issue". On the left side of the tank there are hell lot of different cables thus my assumption is it's becasue of that. Right-front side is fixed and firm.

Thanks!

• Offline 3Teeth660   gb

• 660 Pro  ‐    153

Offline 3Teeth660

• 660 Pro
    • Bike: SpeedTwin, TS660
    • City / Town: Hampshire
    Re: Tank cover fit.
    Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 08.06 pm
    September 28, 2022, 08.06 pm
    Hi Enzo,

I had my tank cover off a couple of days ago and it is possible for the two front corners to be incorrectly fitted.  Has your tank cover been taken off to fit an accessory perhaps?
    I've just looked again at mine and there is slight movement on the right and a little bit more on the left.  There is a a fairly stiff plastic or metal ledge with a drainage hole in it on both sides that the tank sits down onto and there's a slight rebate in the underside of the tank cover where the two parts mate.  There's also a drain hole in the tank cover that sort of corresponds.

Taking the cover off is faily straight forward as seen here, courtesy of jRob Rides. 

If you pause it at 7:43 you get a glimpse of the tank cover corners. 

Here is an photo with the tank off, showing the ledge, just below the two connectors and directly above the coolant hose.  Hope this helps.

• Offline Enzo660   pl

• 660 Member  ‐    19
    • Topic Author

Offline Enzo660

• 660 Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trident 660
    • City / Town: Cracow
    Re: Tank cover fit.
    Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 04.48 pm
    September 29, 2022, 04.48 pm
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
    Yes I am aware of those holes in the tank cover and am wondering what prevented Triumph of adding some bolts there.

I do believe my tank cover was taken off at the dealer in order to instal bluetooth module. Yet this autumn I want to instal heated grips so I will remove tank cover then and try to fit it properly.

waisted