Author SW-Motech Blaze saddlebags with grab handles?  (Read 1619 times)

• Offline Foaly   fr

• 660 Newbie  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline Foaly

• 660 Newbie
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trident 660
    SW-Motech Blaze saddlebags with grab handles?
    on: June 10, 2022, 10.16 am
    June 10, 2022, 10.16 am
    Hi everyone,

I just got my brand new Trident and I'm looking for a set of saddlebags for a bit more carrying capacity (I already have a Kriega bag for the tank or the passenger seat). I like the look and the apparent practicality of the Pro Blaze from SW-Motech, with the removable arms that only leave a small permanent support :

https://sw-motech.com/en/bike/TRIUMPH/Trident660/2021/L101R/products/luggage/saddlebags/BLAZE/4052572215272.htm

However I'm worried that they would not fit with the grab handles (the original ones from Triumph) that I have installed on my bike :

https://images.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/media-library/images/motorcycles/roadsters-supersports/my21/trident/accessories%20page/media%20carousel/trident-660-accessories-mcs-3-grab-handle-1920x1080.jpg

By any chance, has anyone tried this or a similar combination? I think they would fit even if the bags are slightly bent, and SW-Motech's support seem to think so too, but those are expensive bags and I'd like to be a bit more sure before investing in them.

Thanks!

• Offline mystifizer   fr

• 660 Newbie  ‐    5

Offline mystifizer

• 660 Newbie
    • Bike: trident 660
    • City / Town: Valleiry
    Re: SW-Motech Blaze saddlebags with grab handles?
    Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 12.48 am
    June 12, 2022, 12.48 am
    It will probably work fine, but my guess is that you'll have to choose between pillion and bags.

I went with the givi alternative for 2/3rd of the sw-motech blaze price:

Bags : givi ae127
    holders : givi remove-x TR6419

This way I can ride with both the bags and the wife
    Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 12.52 am by mystifizer

• Offline Foaly   fr

• 660 Newbie  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline Foaly

• 660 Newbie
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 01.06 pm
    June 13, 2022, 01.06 pm
    Thanks for your very interesting feedback !
    It looks like the Givi bags sit a bit lower and fit just below the handles, so I guess the Blaze would fit as well with a bit of compromise. I don't carry a pillion so that won't be an issue, I only need it to be compatible with the Kriega tailbag system. Last time I checked Givi the remove-x didn't exist, only the TE6419 which I didn't like, but the TR6419 looks a lot better. I'll compare it to the Blaze system to make a choice.

• 660 Newbie  ‐    5

Offline mystifizer

• 660 Newbie
    Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 05.01 pm
    June 13, 2022, 05.01 pm
    Actually about the reason why they sit lower: the givi system (at least for those specific bags : ea127 / ea133 / kappa alternatives / etc) is thin enough that you can fit it under the seat.

With the blaze (quite a large velcro band between the two bags) you won't be able to do this because you won't be able to lock the seat in place. Thus you will need to rest it on the seat.

It should bend a little but fit without any issue whatsoever. Another reason I decided to go with givi was that they can carry 40 to 60L instead of the 30 to 40L that the blaze provide. I paid 220 euros total instead of ~350 which was also nice.

SW-Motech is a good brand so by all means, if you like the blaze go for it (loved them on my ktm). Just know that you also have this alternative available.
    Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 05.07 pm by mystifizer

• Offline marco   au

• 660 Newbie  ‐    7

Offline marco

• 660 Newbie
    • City / Town: Melbourne
    Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 01.51 pm
    July 26, 2022, 01.51 pm
    I am interested in the Givi TR6419.
    For those with it installed, have you seen that Givi has a recall on them? Itís on their website, have a look at it.

• Offline mtripp   us

• 660 Newbie  ‐    1

Offline mtripp

• 660 Newbie
    • Bike: Triumph Trident 660
    • City / Town: Marion, SC
    Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 05.11 pm
    July 26, 2022, 05.11 pm
    I just want to know where you got that seat?!

• Offline Foaly   fr

• 660 Newbie  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline Foaly

• 660 Newbie
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 03.41 pm
    August 13, 2022, 03.41 pm
    Hi,

So, time to update this thread because it might interest someone with a similar question.

I ended buying the Blaze, and... they didn't fit, at all. Even though these are "soft luggage", there is a rigid plastic back inside and the handles get in the way, I couldn't put the bags in a way that wasn't ugly, impractical or unsafe.

The only solution was to mod them to make them rest lower, just below the handles. Two possibilities : either sewing new "sockets" for the arms higher on the back of the bags, or making longer arms. The second solution didn't need to permanently modify them so I went with that.

I made some 3D-printed prototype arms to refine the geometry that I needed, then I bought 10mm stainless steel tubing that I bent to the same shape. I 3D-printed (in resin, to avoid problems with the heat that would soften FDM-printed plastic parts) adapters to make them fit in the square holders, as well as some plugs for the end of the tubes.

Finally, I needed to find another place for the buckles that lock the bags in place, because the strap was completely bent and it pulled on the sewing. I noticed a round surface on the passenger pegs that was perfectly aligned with the strap and was just the right size for an M5 screw. The hard part was drilling and threading perpendicular to the surface, because nothing is really flat or parallel on this part, so I borrowed a 3D scanner to make digital representation of the part, and used it to make a 3D-printed drill guide using FreeCAD. I drilled the pegs and put some helicoils to avoid screwing directly into the aluminum, and put the buckles in place.

It was a bit of work, but I'm very happy with the result, it seems sturdy enough and everything falls in place exactly how I hoped.

• 660 Newbie  ‐    5

Offline mystifizer

• 660 Newbie
    Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 02.58 pm
    August 20, 2022, 02.58 pm
    *Originally Posted by mtripp [+]
    I just want to know where you got that seat?!

Hey,

sorry about the delay, the seat was custom made by the Sellerie Briant shop in Chambery, France.

https://sellerie-briant.com/triumph

I think they accept internet orders, I paid 359 euros for mine.

• 660 Newbie  ‐    5

Offline mystifizer

• 660 Newbie
    Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 03.00 pm
    August 20, 2022, 03.00 pm
    Hey Foaly,

Not really related but: By any chance, would you be able to 3d print a plate that could replace the trident logos on the tank?

I would be very interested to buy a pair

Thanks
    Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 03.01 pm by mystifizer

• Offline Foaly   fr

• 660 Newbie  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline Foaly

• 660 Newbie
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 03.21 pm
    August 20, 2022, 03.21 pm
    Hi,
    I probably could, but I'm not sure it would make a lot of sense economically for you on the type of printer I use. Have you taken a look at specialized suppliers for this? Sculpteo have Nylon printers that make pretty competitive parts while PCBWay (in China) is usually pretty cheap on some materials (including resins). Both have a lot of documentation regarding the materials they offer and will give you a quote directly online if you upload your STL file.
    https://www.sculpteo.com/fr/services-fr/service-dimpression-3d-en-ligne/
    https://www.pcbway.com/rapid-prototyping/manufacture/?type=2

waisted