Author Topic: Any common problems before I buy  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Speedy21

• 660 Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Gsxr k9.trident soon
  • City / Town: Wales
Any common problems before I buy
on: January 26, 2022, 04.01 PM
Hello from UK, hope you're all doing well.
I'm getting a new bike soon, have been looking at the trident and the mt07. I have a Yamaha dealer close so have already tried the mt and really like it. I will travel to test the trident when I have time.
The mt07 show 5 out of 5 for reliability but seems to have quite a few common problems when searching on the internet.
Are there any common problems on the tridents , such as corrosion, engine, gearbox etc, anything really,  or are the generally trouble free.
Thanks for any help and info, I'm hoping to get one ready for the summer. :001:

Online Studio X

• 660 Member
  • Bike: 675R, XCA, 660
  • City / Town: Vermont, USA
Re: Any common problems before I buy
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 09.45 PM
Welcome. Define “common”. Do you mean - What recalls have been issued?- or What people come to a forum to complain about?

The first can be found through searching for “Recalls or TSB (technical service bulletins) Triumph Trident”

The second can be found by simply looking through the posts on a website like this one. Do take everything you read here with a large grain of salt as this is a tiny minority of owners and the ones who do have issues want to make sure everyone knows it.

Keep in mind that the Trident is a new model (first issued in 2021) so there are bound to be some teething issues.

Hope you enjoy your test ride.

x
Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 09.46 PM by Studio X

Offline Speedy21

• 660 Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 10.35 PM
Thanks for the search info studio X, I'll look them up.
In definition im not looking for people having a moan about weak brakes etc,
In regards to the MT07 I'm seeing things like 1.clutch plates may shatter. 2. Battery problems. 3. Multiple engine problems. 4. Corrode easily on swingarm.
 So just trying to compare the two before buying. Like you say, maybe the MTs aren't as bad as it sounds either as people do tend to rant about problems more. 
Thank for the search links again

Online Studio X

• 660 Member
  • Bike: 675R, XCA, 660
  • City / Town: Vermont, USA
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 11.57 PM
All new bikes have some issues - usually minor - though the Ducati Multistrada V4 complete engine replacement might be an exception!

I have heard nothing through these forums that tells me there are any systemic issues - other than you can’t get your name to show up on the clocks. From the posts around here I get the impression these these bikes seemingly are being purchased by relatively new riders who tend to have an heightened sense of anxiety about them or people who think a new bike should be flawless.

Lets be real. This is an $8,000 USD motorcycle - an amazing price point for what you get. My 660 is my 5th Triumph triple. I would not have stayed with the brand and the engine configuration if I didn’t have faith in both. You will not find a better handling bike in this segment.

Best,
x

Offline Speedy21

• 660 Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 01.47 AM
Yes everything I read tends to aim it at new riders, I have no idea why ,it seems a brilliant bike for all riders however much experience.
Thanks for all the info it's much appreciated. Will have to sort my test ride soon and try my first triple. I've always wanted a street triple but I think the trident might be more fun at slower speeds. Haven't tried either tho

Offline tridentmania

• 660 Pro
  • Bike: Trident 660
  • City / Town: Old Coulsdon
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 09.47 AM
*Originally Posted by Speedy21 [+]
Yes everything I read tends to aim it at new riders, I have no idea why ,it seems a brilliant bike for all riders however much experience.
Thanks for all the info it's much appreciated. Will have to sort my test ride soon and try my first triple. I've always wanted a street triple but I think the trident might be more fun at slower speeds. Haven't tried either tho

All the reviews from launch cover it as an ideal bike for all ages and experience. For someone like myself and my wife who have now concluded our touring days on various Triumph touring triples (from 237kg down to 213kg) it is an ideal weight and is definitely not lacking in the 'go' department.

Before test riding my first Tiger 800 I test rode a Tracer 900, I took my wife on the test ride, which included A roads and motorways, when we stopped she said it was horrible with vibrations up through the pegs and I must say that the overall quality didn't enamour me either.

The key for you is a test ride, I think you will be suitably impressed and surprised if not.  :152: :821:
From '61>present - '57 BSA C12, '61 RE C/Sports, '59 Tiger 110, '61 T120R, '57 BMW R50, '76 GT185, '69 T120, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, '05 Sprint1050 & '08 Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, SprintGT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & '12 Bonne, '15 XRx,'18 XRt, Trident 660

Offline slf

• 660 Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Trident 660
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 02.52 AM
*Originally Posted by Speedy21 [+]
looking at the trident and the mt07.
I know they're not exactly the same (cosmetic updates, mostly) but I have a 2015 FZ07 in my garage that I have not started since I bought my Trident.

Offline Speedy21

• 660 Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 09.49 AM
Having both would definitely solve my decision :)

Offline lcman

• 660 Pro
  • Bike: Trident 660
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 10.34 AM
I have ridden bike for more than 40 years, in that time I have had many bike from all the main manufactures and still restore some of the older (1980's classics) my last bike was a Trident 660 which would have to be in my top 3 bikes (before tracer 9, Tracer 700, Rx 675, MT07) that  which I have just sold to be replaced by the Tiger 660.

All bikes have problems, in my opinion it's all down to how you look after your bike and how you deal with the issue with your dealer. I ALWAYS stay on top of cleaning I want my bike to always look the best it can. I have never had a problem getting an issue resolved, as said there are issues but I would not class them as serious if you are concerned then get an extended manufacturers warranty.   
Cheers Colin

2 x RD350LC, Trident 660

Offline Speedy21

• 660 Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 11.36 AM
That's reassuring then. It's probably the only new bike I'll ever buy so just trying to get it right. Looks like I'll test ride them and go with the one I prefer, and stop worrying about the possible problems.
Thanks for the replys all

waisted