Author Topic: Low Oil on New Trident  (Read 959 times)

Offline Fabs

• 660 Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Trident 660
  • City / Town: Perth
Low Oil on New Trident
on: January 24, 2022, 10.34 PM
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a brand new Trident not even two weeks ago and am extremely happy, have so far put about 300kms on it, however I think I may have a small issue:

I decided to check the oil last night and noticed it was half way between the full and low markings on the dip-stick. I decided to just take a look around the engine and noticed where the sump bolts on, there was some shiny residue and droplet forming on one of the bolt heads.

I looked further and noticed the residue was covering some of the sump and also the engine with a light film, possibly from riding it and the wind blowing the residue around.

I can’t quite tell where the leak is originating, however it looks to be possibly coming from the sump seal at the front of the engine, or possibly even the oil filter. I checked the filter for tightness and it is snug.

I am going to call the local triumph dealer when they open up in a few hours, however was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

Thanks

Offline tridentmania

• 660 Pro
  • City / Town: Old Coulsdon
Re: Low Oil on New Trident
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 09.34 AM
Nothing for me on this issue, dealer visit as you intend is the right course of action.  :028:
From '61>present - '57 BSA C12, '61 RE C/Sports, '59 Tiger 110, '61 T120R, '57 BMW R50, '76 GT185, '69 T120, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, '05 Sprint1050 & '08 Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, SprintGT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & '12 Bonne, '15 XRx,'18 XRt, Trident 660

Offline lcman

• 660 Pro
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 10.15 AM
I have never mentioned this before as I thought I was just unlucky but, my Trident went in for the 600 Ml service at a Triumph dealer all good. Two day later I notice a drop of oil on my garage floor, had a look around the sump plug sure enough a light film of oil so I though ah sump plug seal or not tight.

Spanners out no sump plug OK got to be seal, mentioned it to the deal over the phone they said drop it in we will sort it. So next time out called in, stuck it on the bike lift to have a good look. After some intensive investigate found a hairline crack in the back of the sump pan. All replaced under warranty.
Cheers Colin

2 x RD350LC, Trident 660

Offline Seahorse72

• 660 Pro
  • City / Town: River Bend
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 12.09 AM
Due to the weather I have only 187 miles. It is disconcerting to read the posts for low oil levels, cracked sump covers, etc. An earlier post noted cracked swing arms. Software glitches, error codes, clunky shifting! How does any cracked or faulty part get installed in the first place? Where is Triumph’s quality control? Never had any of these problems on my previous Kawasaki and Honda.

Offline Seahorse72

• 660 Pro
  • City / Town: River Bend
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 05.31 PM
Rode 200 miles last Friday and Saturday. Level is mid-way between hi/lo marks before and after ride. No leaks anywhere.

waisted