Author Heated Grips - Factory or Aftermarket?  (Read 2489 times)

• Offline Eddie60   gb

• 660 Newbie  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline Eddie60

• 660 Newbie
    • Topic Author
    • Growing old but never growing up!
    • Bike: Trident 660
    • City / Town: Rugeley
    Heated Grips - Factory or Aftermarket?
    on: January 07, 2022, 09.35 am
    January 07, 2022, 09.35 am
    Hi,
    I'll be picking up a new Trident 660 later this month, I've looked at accessories and I'll probably add a few as time goes by.
    The single accessory I actually NEED rather than want is a pair of heated grips - I suffer terribly with cold hands these days.
    I read somewhere that the Factory offering wasn't that great (didn't get warm enough) and I've seen people recommending Oxford heated grips but I'm wondering about how neat the installation  on those might be? 
    The bike is too pretty to mess up with wires and clunky switchgear!
    Thought I'd ask your opinions on the neater Factory option and also if anyone has a details for what aftermarket heated grips they chose and why they chose them for the Trident?

TIA
    Dave
    Suzuki GT185, Honda XL125, Yamaha DT175, Yamaha DT175MX, Yamaha XJ750, Yamaha 250LC, Yamaha 350LC, Kawasaki GPZ600R, Yamaha XJ600,Kawasaki H2B Triple, Aprilia Mana 850, BMW R9T, Benelli TNT125, Benelli TRK502, Triumph Trident 660

• Offline Erolek   ie

• 660 Pro  ‐    72

Offline Erolek

• 660 Pro
    • City / Town: Dublin
    Re: Heated Grips - Factory or Aftermarket?
    Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 10.28 am
    January 07, 2022, 10.28 am
    I had Oxford heated grips on my 3 previous bikes, and factory now on Trident.
    Factory heated grips worm up a little bit slower than Oxford, but once they are hot, they are hot. There are 3 settings (as opposed to 5 on Oxfords), but never needed the heating to be set that precise.
    What I like the most is the absolutely seamless integration of the factory grips over any aftermarket. No cables, panels, etc. Just one tiny button on the grip, and indicator integrated with the display.

My choice is factory.

Greetings
    Eryk

• Offline Starletandi   england

• 660 Member  ‐    22

Offline Starletandi

• 660 Member
    • Bike: Silver ice trident
    • City / Town: Derbyshire
    Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 06.37 pm
    January 07, 2022, 06.37 pm
     :003:I've got the factory fit grips, the warmest setting is too warm for me, I would never have the Oxford ones as I really don't like the look of them.

• Offline Tridentist   de

• 660 Member  ‐    30

Offline Tridentist

• 660 Member
    • City / Town: Bobstadt
    Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 08.50 pm
    January 07, 2022, 08.50 pm
    Yes, they´re hot enough - but most likely is the integration of the factory version. Small almost unvisible switch, connected to /visible in the dashboard and the menu is activated immediately after installation automatically. The only severe task is installation...

• Offline cpam   gb

• 660 Member  ‐    24

Offline cpam

• 660 Member
    • Bike: Triumph Trident 660
    • City / Town: LONDON
    Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 03.26 pm
    January 09, 2022, 03.26 pm
    When I was buying my bike ( second hand) there was only one with factory Triumph heated grips.The bike wasn't  the colour I wanted but... heated grips was deal breaker for me.
    So i bought it :). I use them all the time on 1 or 2 heat level. 3 is getting little too hot for me.
    But bear in mind they don't get as hot as Oxford heated grips but for town riding they are perfect.

*Originally Posted by Eddie60 [+]
    Hi,
    I'll be picking up a new Trident 660 later this month, I've looked at accessories and I'll probably add a few as time goes by.
    The single accessory I actually NEED rather than want is a pair of heated grips - I suffer terribly with cold hands these days.
    I read somewhere that the Factory offering wasn't that great (didn't get warm enough) and I've seen people recommending Oxford heated grips but I'm wondering about how neat the installation  on those might be? 
    The bike is too pretty to mess up with wires and clunky switchgear!
    Thought I'd ask your opinions on the neater Factory option and also if anyone has a details for what aftermarket heated grips they chose and why they chose them for the Trident?

TIA
    Dave

• Offline JesseLou   us

• 660 Newbie  ‐    4

Offline JesseLou

• 660 Newbie
    • Bike: 2022 Trident 660
    • City / Town: Bellingham, WA
    Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 05.37 am
    April 23, 2022, 05.37 am
    Does anyone know which model of the Oxford Heaterz - the sport, touring, or adventure- fits the trident? I guessed and got the sport but it doesn’t look quite right.

Also- will the throttle tube need to be modified to get the grip on? I’ve seen that at least one other Triumph bike has a larger diameter throttle tube that had to be shaved down with a dremmel in order to get it on.
    Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 05.47 am by JesseLou

• Offline JesseLou   us

• 660 Newbie  ‐    4

Offline JesseLou

• 660 Newbie
    • Bike: 2022 Trident 660
    • City / Town: Bellingham, WA
    Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 04.27 pm
    August 22, 2022, 04.27 pm
    The Oxford Sport grips fit perfectly. Just had them put on my bike. I love the extra-hotness!

• Offline 1904Trident   gb

• 660 Newbie  ‐    6

Offline 1904Trident

• 660 Newbie
    Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 10.53 am
    September 27, 2022, 10.53 am
    I added the factory fit to my order and they currently don’t work! Triumph dealer said a software update was required?