Author Tire Pressure Settings  (Read 2828 times)

• Offline Seahorse72   us

• 660 Pro  ‐    72
    • Topic Author

Offline Seahorse72

• 660 Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trident 660
    • City / Town: River Bend
    Re: Tire Pressure Settings
    Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 06.14 pm
    December 29, 2021, 06.14 pm
    Last summer my previous bike, Kawasaki 900 Cafe, picked up a nail in the rear tire. I purchased Dunlop Road Smart IV's which absolutely transformed the ride and handling. I had 3600 miles on them when I sold the bike and they looked new.

During my research of sport/touring tires a repeated comment regarding the Michelin Road 5 was stiff sidewall and firm/harsh ride. The test bikes used were all larger and heavier than the Trident. Two of the reviews mentioned the Michelin may not be a good match for lighter bikes.

My last ride was December 16 for 50 miles. Air temp was 58 F.  I set the pressures at F=32, R=38. The ride was noticeably smoother. I wasn't pushing hard or leaning over so didn't notice any degradation of the handling. I'm still running-in the bike and the tires. Only have 187 on the ODO. Next ride I'll set the rear at 36 psi. I'm 5-10 & 175 without gear. My reasoning: if my son had Michelin Road 5's on his Kawasaki Z650, he'd be running 32F and 36R (Kawasaki factory settings). IMO, the called for pressures were set by the Triumph legal department. Regardless of the pressures, I absolutely love the angled valve stems. Geniusly simple!   

• Offline Seahorse72   us

• 660 Pro  ‐    72
    • Topic Author

Offline Seahorse72

• 660 Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trident 660
    • City / Town: River Bend
    Re: Tire Pressure Settings
    Reply #11 on: February 16, 2022, 05.24 pm
    February 16, 2022, 05.24 pm
    Rode 200 miles last Friday and Saturday with front = 32 and rear = 36 psi. The bike felt great. Still a little bouncy over the really rough spots. It should ride even better in warm/hot weather when the tires and forks are warmer. Checked oil level before and after ride and shows mid-way between the marks.