• 660 Member  ‐    30

Offline Bob Andrew

• 660 Member
    • Bike: Trident660
    • City / Town: Scotland
    Re: Engine dies
    Reply #60 on: August 14, 2022, 05.44 pm
    August 14, 2022, 05.44 pm

No 4 and 5 apparently going by description 4 is the map sensor ?? Also !

• Offline SilverRed   ch

• 660 Newbie  ‐    6

Offline SilverRed

• 660 Newbie
    • Bike: Trident 660 (2021)
    Reply #61 on: August 14, 2022, 06.45 pm
    August 14, 2022, 06.45 pm
    I have a positive update.
    I got the map sensor and two tubes changed.
    I tried everything that let the engine die before, but it stayes on idle when holding the clutch longer and shifting down.  :082:

And the whole shifting is also much smoother now! Feels like another bike ... or like in the beginning  :038:

On the picture Bob posted, no. 2 is the map sensor.
    Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 06.48 pm by SilverRed

• Offline Bob Andrew   gb

• 660 Member  ‐    30

Offline Bob Andrew

• 660 Member
    • Bike: Trident660
    • City / Town: Scotland
    Reply #62 on: August 14, 2022, 08.14 pm
    August 14, 2022, 08.14 pm
    Hi thanks for the update, Big T parts manual Germany have it wrong  :745:

I've not got tis issue yet, but probably will have in the future  :084: Met a guy with same bike last week in a petrol station and he's done 6500miles and experiencing this issue now  :034:

• Offline SilverRed   ch

• 660 Newbie  ‐    6

Offline SilverRed

• 660 Newbie
    • Bike: Trident 660 (2021)
    Reply #63 on: August 14, 2022, 09.44 pm
    August 14, 2022, 09.44 pm
    Yes, that's not quite right. Sometimes even Germans make mistakes  :038: ...said a German  :015:

I really hope it's not a recurring problem with the sensor. My machine was bought in March 2021. So I hope it is just a first batch problem....

• Offline Xander134   us

• 660 Member  ‐    15

Offline Xander134

• 660 Member
    • My E-Wing, aka Erisi
    • Bike: Trident 660
    • City / Town: Los Angeles
    Reply #64 on: August 15, 2022, 02.26 pm
    August 15, 2022, 02.26 pm
    My final update:

I traded in my Trident for a Street Triple RS, so this will be my final post in this subject.

At 4,300 miles (~7000 km) my dealership replaced the MAP sensor, hose, and restrictor valve. Since then, I put an additional 4,000 miles (~6500 km) on the Trident. In that time, the engine never died due to this fueling issue. I genuinely believe that the fix may be a permanent one.

I wish you all the best of luck, and hope that Triumph will avoid these issues in future years and models.

Cheers,
    Xander    :158:

• Offline slf   us

• 660 Pro  ‐    103

Offline slf

• 660 Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trident 660
    Reply #65 on: August 18, 2022, 05.32 am
    August 18, 2022, 05.32 am
    Well, this just started happening to me after my first year service. The soonest I can get the Trident into the dealer is the 31st (covid) so until then I guess I should ride another one of my bikes.
    I am in the middle of rebuilding my bobber, so that's out.

Blatant proud poppa shot of the '86 Virago XV1100 mid tear down.

• Offline slf   us

• 660 Pro  ‐    103

Offline slf

• 660 Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trident 660
    Reply #66 on: August 24, 2022, 03.45 am
    August 24, 2022, 03.45 am
    I rode the Trident today in the worst LA traffic (for me at least). The engine cut out twice on the freeway. See if you can spot them in this video.

• Offline Ern021   au

• 660 Newbie  ‐    2

Offline Ern021

• 660 Newbie
    • City / Town: Willaston
    Reply #67 on: September 15, 2022, 07.02 am
    September 15, 2022, 07.02 am
    Howdy all,

experiencing the same issues with my Trident. has been into dealership twice now with them unable to replicate the issue. As soon as I pick bike up from them and start riding the issue presents. almost every time I'm braking to a stop, clutch engaged and usually in second gear. Have brought up with Triumph Australia and they have suggest an injector clean as there could be a build up of carbon on the valves. I'm half way through a clean cycle now and issue is still presenting. Occurred at every stop light I came to today. Getting frustrating  :027: :027:. I have spoken to dealership re MAP sensor, sensor pipe and restrictor valve being changed over as a solution mentioned most in this thread but they don't seem to comprehend what I'm saying.

Will persevere and push for change over parts .........see what happens

• Offline Roger W   au

• 660 Newbie  ‐    2

Offline Roger W

• 660 Newbie
    • Bike: Triumph Trident
    • City / Town: Sydney NSW
    Reply #68 on: September 30, 2022, 07.55 am
    September 30, 2022, 07.55 am
    Hi
    I bought my trident late last year and which has approx only 3,000 km on the clock due to lots of wet weather and a injured knee. When back riding and after having to charge the battery I had the warmed up engine power roll off dieing of my bike. For example after 30 mins or so riding and on a fast bit of road I would roll off the power to slow down (slightly) and the engine would die and the red warning light would come on. I would also have potential and actual stalling at red lights and starting required more throttle .  After a few of these I took my bike back to my brilliant dealer and maybe we jointly went off in the wrong direction thinking after the bike layup that the petrol had congealed and blocked the jets - even though as I thought later I only used 95 octane unleaded with no ethanol and should not congeal. The dealer drained the petrol,  the jets etc were taken out and cleaned, spark plugs replaced and cleaner put into the petrol. The dealer said they were not happy as when the bike was warmed up the engine start would not be first time and required increased throttle. My dealer Talking  to Triumph technical support they said the bike required riding to relearn its proper operating profile. I took the bike back and drove it around town, it was rough, stalled at junctions, and the power roll off at speed made the engine die. I used all the petrol and filled up with the usual 95 octane unleaded no ethanol and it was a new bike sounding much better. However took three attempts at starting at the petrol station . Next day went for another ride after 20 mins, it stalled at red light and was not easy to restart and coming off the free way rolled the power off and it died again. I took it straight back to the dealer, the service manager looked at the bike tried to start it and it needed 2 goes ( the second with increased throttle ) to get it going - the service manager still is not happy ( as am I ) . I have passed on this thread to the service manager and he said it was worth a go, so waiting to see what happens next.  Fingers crossed.

• Offline Ern021   au

• 660 Newbie  ‐    2

Offline Ern021

• 660 Newbie
    • City / Town: Willaston
    Reply #69 on: October 03, 2022, 02.08 pm
    October 03, 2022, 02.08 pm
    *Originally Posted by Ern021 [+]
    Howdy all,

experiencing the same issues with my Trident. has been into dealership twice now with them unable to replicate the issue. As soon as I pick bike up from them and start riding the issue presents. almost every time I'm braking to a stop, clutch engaged and usually in second gear. Have brought up with Triumph Australia and they have suggest an injector clean as there could be a build up of carbon on the valves. I'm half way through a clean cycle now and issue is still presenting. Occurred at every stop light I came to today. Getting frustrating  :027: :027:. I have spoken to dealership re MAP sensor, sensor pipe and restrictor valve being changed over as a solution mentioned most in this thread but they don't seem to comprehend what I'm saying.

Will persevere and push for change over parts .........see what happens

Update - Bike into dealership to have new exhaust installed. At the same time they have cleaned the restrictor valve (blown compressed air through). Since having the bike back (over a week now) it is running like it was when I first purchased the bike. No throttle surging and more importantly no engine dying. Dealership stated that the MAP restrictor valve is installed with grease and that over time this may have blocked or obstructed the valve, impacting on the running of the engine (but not registering as a fault on the ECU). Touch wood this is the fix I have been seeking.