Author Gear shift feel  (Read 11885 times)

• Offline Cnhock   us

• 660 Newbie  ‐    4

Offline Cnhock

• 660 Newbie
    • Bike: Matte Jet Black
    • City / Town: Greensboro, NC
    Re: Gear shift feel
    Reply #30 on: December 21, 2021, 02.27 pm
    December 21, 2021, 02.27 pm
    I have the new 2022 Trident and 160 miles in and clunky shifting.  Trying the foot adjustment, knock wood.  Any other news on this topic?  Going by dealer to check on chain, but it seems fine.

• Offline Seahorse72   us

• 660 Pro  ‐    73

Offline Seahorse72

• 660 Pro
    • City / Town: River Bend
    Reply #31 on: December 22, 2021, 05.56 pm
    December 22, 2021, 05.56 pm
    I have only 187 miles on the odo. Too cold to ride. Overall, the bike is still tight but shifts fine. A little clunk every now and then which is my fault for not matching the revs. I blame the throttle mapping.  Probably why a properly operating quick-shifter eliminates the clunking.  I especially like the fact that I can sit at a traffic signal in neutral and shift into 1st smoothly without a loud clunk. My previous kawasaki 900 clunked every time. I ordered and received an adjustable clutch lever from the Street Triple.  Tried to install but can't get enough cable slack with only the lever adjustments. I'll have the dealer install it at the 600 mile service. I know it's an easy install but if the dealer screws it up, they'll fix it free. I am concerned with comments on this and other posts regarding engine oil levels. I can live with the throttle and the slightly bumpy suspension on rough roads, but I won't tolerate an oil-burner. Absolutely no excuse for that.     

• Offline cpam   gb

• 660 Member  ‐    24

Offline cpam

• 660 Member
    • Bike: Triumph Trident 660
    • City / Town: LONDON
    Reply #32 on: December 22, 2021, 06.31 pm
    December 22, 2021, 06.31 pm
    I still have this issue  :003: , installed adjustable lever's and I did try to adjust the clutch from the lever and the engine but with no joy  :084:
    I still use it almost every day, but just now I managed to bookit with Triumph for first week in Jan.
    Hope is simple fix I noticed my chain is little bit loose to.
    Will keep you posted. 

• Offline cpam   gb

• 660 Member  ‐    24

Offline cpam

• 660 Member
    Reply #33 on: January 17, 2022, 07.13 pm
    January 17, 2022, 07.13 pm
    Just to share my experience and situation.
    I had the bike checked by Triumph.
    They adjusted the chain, clutch cable, Tyre pressure, shock and topped up the oil.
    After all this i can say that there is slight improvement but  :003: I still have clunky gear change.:
    - this one is really bad example  :005:

so for me next step is to drop the bike in person at Triumph so they can check this again.  :003:

• Offline Koyander   in

• 660 Newbie  ‐    7

Offline Koyander

• 660 Newbie
    • Bike: Trident 660
    Reply #34 on: January 18, 2022, 05.52 am
    January 18, 2022, 05.52 am
    that's terrible sound on 1st gear, instruct them to open the clutch cover case, open clutch assembly and examine and put back together, also ask them to check the tension spring that is mounted at the clutch cover if it's fault it may not be disengaging the clutch completely..

• Offline Trident69   fr

• 660 Newbie  ‐    2

Offline Trident69

• 660 Newbie
    • City / Town: Lyon
    Reply #35 on: May 09, 2022, 09.43 pm
    May 09, 2022, 09.43 pm
    Hi all,
    Same issue on mine, only 3 months old / 3.000 kms and noisy clunky first 3 gears since more than 2.000 kms (since the first service, to be honest !)Ö
    I already had the chain, the oil, the clutch lever, the tires pressure and aligment, etc. checked by my local Triumph dealer and nothing worked.
    Never any issue during the first minutes riding when the bike is cold, nor if using the quick-shifter (up or down), and less issue if I keep the accelerator while gearing up or if I give an accelerator kick while gearing down...
    I ride it back once again to the dealer next Saturday, I will suggest them to check the clutch as well.
    Iíll keep you posted if any new ideas -or hopefully concrete and sustainable solutions- arise !

• Offline tri-bri   england

• 660 Member  ‐    21

Offline tri-bri

• 660 Member
    • Bike: trident 660
    • City / Town: cheadle
    Reply #36 on: June 28, 2022, 08.42 pm
    June 28, 2022, 08.42 pm
    A bit dismayed to read about these gear change experiences.Mine was silky smooth until about 300 miles ago ,it has now become a bit 
    notchy ....hope it doesnt become clunky.The bike has done about 4500 miles.

• Online Studio X   us

• 660 Pro  ‐    66

Online Studio X

• 660 Pro
    • Bike: 675R, XCA, 660
    • City / Town: Vermont, USA
    Reply #37 on: June 28, 2022, 08.57 pm
    June 28, 2022, 08.57 pm
    Every bike Iíve owned (5 Triumphs, 2 Hondas and a BMW) have a ďclunkĒ going into first gear from Neutral. Itís the nature of a transmission that is spinning on the power side and still on the driven side.

Itís a problem if it clunks going from 2nd to 3rd.

• Offline shrike   de

• 660 Member  ‐    12

Offline shrike

• 660 Member
    • Glad to meet you!
    • City / Town: Den Haag
    Reply #38 on: July 05, 2022, 09.00 am
    July 05, 2022, 09.00 am
    I have now round about 6.000km on my 2021 Trident and my experience is, that gear shift in the first 3 gears has no real feedback...you never really know if you are in the next gear...this results in the problem that it is nearly impossible to shift into neutral...will have that check in the next inspection...
    Rides can't be too long...days are just too short!

Current Bikes: Trident 660, Tiger Explorer, Rocket 3R

• Offline cpam   gb

• 660 Member  ‐    24

Offline cpam

• 660 Member
    Reply #39 on: July 07, 2022, 06.38 pm
    July 07, 2022, 06.38 pm
    I lost all hope unfortunately.
    Had my bike twice checked ( same place) and I can tell they just ignored the issue.
    first time was loose chain,  low oil and clutch adjustment and then I was told this is the nature of the bike.
    Second time they didn't find nothing wrong with it and again just the nature of the bike.
    So i am just going to keep it for bit longer and move to something different...  :016: