Author Topic: Gear shift feel  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Darkknight70

• 660 Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Trident 660
  • City / Town: Lydney
Gear shift feel
on: June 03, 2021, 04.11 PM
What's does everyone think of the gearshift feel? I don't have the quickshifter option, so it's clutch shifts for me, I just find it a bit 'clunky' in the lower 3 gears, higher gear changes feel smooth. I've got around 1200 miles on her now , thought it may have smoothed out a bit. Have adjusted clutch lever a bit but still the same??

Online Dave G

• 660 Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Trident 660
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Re: Gear shift feel
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 05.23 PM
I have 2000+ miles on mine and was thinking the same, 1st to 2nd and audible loud clunk, 2nd to 3rd not as loud but still there, was finding 5th to 6th sometimes a bit clunky but convinced myself it was my throttle off, clutch in, foot up synchronization that was off but really not sure of that lol.   
All for one and one for all.

Offline Darkknight70

• 660 Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Lydney
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 08.44 PM
Hi Dave G , I'm glad I'm not the only one , I did think it was my changing technique etc but my previous bikes I've never had a problem ! Maybe it's just the way the box is, it's my first Triumph. Hopefully more will put their views in on this 👍

Online Dave G

• 660 Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Trident 660
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 09.30 PM
Yeh my 1st too, my KTM  was butter smooth in comparison.
All for one and one for all.

Offline lcman

• 660 Pro
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 09.54 PM
Yeah same here 1st, 2nd, 3th clunk clunk clunk after 500 miles, but I do remember when I first got the bike how smooth the gear change was.
Cheers Colin

2 x RD350LC, Trident 660

Offline Rchrd

• 660 Newbie
  • Bike: Matte black 2022
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 03.25 PM
I have noticed that my shifts are much smoother if I only partially pull the clutch during take off, like maybe 25% of the distance. If I pull the lever all the way back, CLUNK.

My Buell blast had clunky shift like a mf.
Rchrd

Entropy should be the name of an overpriced organic grocery store for hipsters.

Offline T-Bagger

• 660 Newbie
  • Bike: 2022 Trident 660
  • City / Town: San Francisco
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 11.15 AM
I have the same problem and it drives me nuts. It was very smooth for the first 200-300 miles and then became very clunky in gears 1-3. I had the quick shifter fitted in mine hoping it would help…which it did in a way but it came with its own issues.

Before shifting Try and get under the shift lever with your foot and apply a little bit of pressure before pulling in the clutch. A little steady pressure won’t force a gear change but as soon as you pull the clutch you’ll feel it pop up into  the next gear like butter. 

I don’t think we should have to do this with a brand new bike but it sure makes riding a lot more fun when your not banging through gears every time the light turns green.
Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 11.18 AM by T-Bagger
I could be wrong, I’ve been wrong once before.

Offline Dimster

• 660 Pro
  • Bike: Trident 660 silver
  • City / Town: New Malden
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 11.23 AM
1,000 + miles on mine and it is still clunky. I do find that if I am 'slow' on the clutch (both pull/release) it is better but who rides like that anyway!...

Wondering if the engine oil makes a bit of difference (not explored that option yet).

Offline T-Bagger

• 660 Newbie
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 11.36 AM
*Originally Posted by Dimster [+]
1,000 + miles on mine and it is still clunky. I do find that if I am 'slow' on the clutch (both pull/release) it is better but who rides like that anyway!...

Wondering if the engine oil makes a bit of difference (not explored that option yet).

Slow shifts wouldn’t help. What’s happening is the gears are synchronized when the bike is in gear but as soon as you pull the clutch they’re free to spin as they like so when you shift a second or two after pulling the clutch there’s typically a clunk, (read my last post) get under the lever with your foot and apply pressure before pulling the clutch. This will allow you to complete the gear change instantly while the gears are perfectly aligned. Let me know how it goes.

Could be something to do with the oil, maybe even the oil level. But be careful what you use, oils or additives that are too slick will cause the clutch to slip. These bikes share oil between the engine and transmission.

Offline T-Bagger

• 660 Newbie
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 07.32 AM
Also a loose chain exacerbates the shifting problem. It helps to ensure the chain is tightened to spec and has good tacky lube.